Spring’s here, and so (hopefully) is the sunshine!
As such, it’s time to dive into the wardrobe and drag out those long-forgotten t-shirts, tea-dresses and skirts. But the big question is – what accessories are you going to choose for the season? Here are some great ideas.
Accessories for spring – some tips
- Get layered. We’re not only talking about pulling on a cardigan for when the weather turns chilly (though that’s definitely a sensible idea). We also mean layering your jewellery to create a cool, complex effect. If you’re wearing a simple shirt and jeans, try stacking up your necklaces. For example, a chunky piece looks great when balanced by another longer necklace (which also creates length). This was also a major look on this season’s runways.
- Ditch the glitz. A little hint of gold never did anyone any harm. But if you want to embrace the breezy vibe of spring, choose jewellery that’s a bit more subtle. Silver is a bit softer than gold, or alternatively, go for accessories that are made of natural materials, like a leather belt or some wooden beads.
- Mix and match. It’s time to pull out all your existing accessories, pile them on your bed, and start getting experimental. Test out unusual combinations, like a bright head-scarf, teamed with a cute alice-band; or a charm bracelet matched with loads of bangles.
- Don’t forget the feet. If you’re feeling spring-like, you might decide to wear a mid-length skirt (minus the tights) or a dress. This means that your ankles will be on show; the perfect opportunity to wear a pretty ankle-bracelet or stick on a fake tattoo! If you’re wearing open-toe shoes, then go for a toe-ring and paint those nails.
- Get retro. It’s time to incorporate a bit of retro fashion into your look. At the moment, it’s all about the 80s and 90s, with converse trainers, sporty zip-up tops, dungarees and combat trousers. In terms of accessories, look for big hoops, platform trainers (they’re definitely making a come-back) and scrunchie hairbands.
- Macho vibes. Gender-neutral fashion is huge right now, and it’s so easy to incorporate it into your look. Add a few shoulder-pads to your blazer to create a more powerful, masculine silhouette, or a trilby hat to shade your face from the sun. A pair of no-nonsense aviator sunglasses are also a great accessory to have, and choose a ‘male’ fragrance to finish the look, such as Aventus by Copycat Fragrances.
- Keep it casual. You don’t need to go over-the-top with your spring accessories; sometimes, it’s enough to just have a stylish watch or a little necklace. If you’re wearing patterned clothing, or garments with a lot of detailing, it’s especially important to keep things simple.
- Inject some spring-themes. To pay homage to the season, you could also incorporate some spring-themed images into your accessories. For example, a neck-scarf with swallows or daisies on it would work perfectly, or a ring with a flower on it. Think about your colour palette too. Sunshine-yellow and vibrant orange will create a statement, or alternatively, look for pastels and sky-blue shades to capture the essence of spring.